Κυριακή 5 Δεκεμβρίου 2010

Contagious [Part 8]


The night air was cold and made me desperate for a nice warm bed. But there was no shelter out here in God knows where. Just Lauren and I and a few scurrying squirrels, holding onto their acorns for dear life. I thought about how we were just like the squirrels, except how they had it better figured out than us. All I wanted in life was to want something bad enough and then get it, and hold onto it and keep it safe. I was still searching, but the squirrel had it simple. Maybe I was just looking at things the wrong way.

We had been up half of the night. I wasn't sure what time it was at this point but Lauren was asleep and I was watching her. The fire was reflecting off of her face and I thought it was the most beautiful thing in the world.

Somehow she sensed that I was awake and I was looking at her and she opened her eyes without warning. I jumped and buried my face within my hands. She sat up and looked at me.

"Go to sleep, Ivan. You need to rest", she said.

My heart was still beating rapidly.

"Sorry. I was just making sure a bear didn't eat you while you were sleeping", I lied.

She knew exactly what I was actually doing, "You were staring at me because you like me."

I contemplated whether I should make a joke and deny it or if I should just act like I'm sleeping or if I should just admit it.

"You're beautiful, you know?" I said.

"Why else would you be staring at me while I'm sleeping?"

"Bears", I said.

"Oh, right. Bears." she grinned.

"Ten beautiful girls are killed each year by tragic bear accidents. I feel like it's my responsibility for you to not be one of those ten."

"You're such a loser", she said.

"I know I am. And you like it."

"No I don't", she replied.

I looked at her in awe and didn't know what to say. She was smiling for some reason, as if she was happy about making me feel unliked.

"I love it." she said.

My expression of awe didn't change, but the context of my wide open mouth differed entirely. I had never in my life heard something so cliche and beautiful that wasn't out of a Hallmark card. I was starting to think that's where she got these sayings from.

"Was that out of a Hallmark card?" I questioned.

"What?"

"Nothing", I muttered.

I laid my head down on the itchy grass and closed my eyes. I pretended like I was asleep and listened to Lauren's breathing. I was so tired.

After 30 minutes she finally laid down beside me. I opened my eyes when things got quiet and found her with her eyes open, staring straight into mine.

"Watching for bears?" I asked her.

"No, I just like you", she said.

Δεν υπάρχουν σχόλια:

Δημοσίευση σχολίου