Κυριακή 31 Οκτωβρίου 2010

Contagious [Part 5]



Leaves rustled behind me, causing me to jump in a moment of sheer terror and disbelief. I desperately grasped for a stick, a rock, or anything to defend myself from whatever wild animal that's crossed paths with me, of all things, in this world of coincidence and possibility. This world where the negatives seem to outweigh the positives, until that one moment in your life when everything is perfect, and you try so hard not to screw it up, but you always do. I believe Newton explained it the best. What goes up must come down.

I turned around and dropped the measly twig that was supposed to protect me. This was no wild animal. This was a girl.

At first we only stared in disbelief. I imagine that the same twirling thoughts that were running circles around my mind were making her dizzy also. I was about to faint.

"What... who are you?" the girl said. I was still lightheaded.

"My name is Ivan. Who are you?" I muttered. She wasn't impressed so far. And she looked like she was in much better condition than I was.

"I'm Lauren. What exactly are you doing here anyway? It's not safe to hang out at the edge of a cliff. You could slip and fall." she preached at me.

"Well... erm." I struggled. I was trying to think of a defensively sarcastic way to hide the fact that I wanted to fall. I couldn't think fast enough.

"Actually I was planning on jumping. What's it to you?"

No reply.

The tone of her voice made it seem like she didn't care. But her facial expression told a different story. I could see right through her. She was one of those girls that was constantly misunderstood. She wanted to be bigger than the walls that were suffocating her every time she pushed back. And I wasn't going to hide the fact that I already had her figured out.

I followed the urge to let her know I wasn't stupid, "So you ran away from home, huh?"

She looked at the ground. Her face turned bright red and tears formed in the creases of her eyes. I was right, but I felt bad now.

I walked over to her and put my right hand on her shoulder. With my left hand, I lifted her chin and wiped away the single tear that was running down her face.

"Everything's going to be alright."

Δεν υπάρχουν σχόλια:

Δημοσίευση σχολίου